You are reading

De Blasio Declares 2015 Safest Year On Record For NYC Roads, Announces $115 million In New Vision Zero Funds

vision zero safest year announcement

Jan. 19, 2016 Staff Report

Mayor Bill de Blasio declared Vision Zero a success Tuesday, announcing that 2015 was the safest year for New York City roads on record.

De Blasio made the announcement alongside the DOT at Woodside’s Razi School on Queens Boulevard, a notoriously dangerous corridor that the City is redesigning with traffic calming measures and new bike lanes. He also announced $115 million in new funding for traffic safety efforts in 2016.

According to City statistics, 231 people lost their lives to traffic crashes in 2015, the fewest since record keeping began in 1910. This number also marks a 22 percent drop from 2013, before Vision Zero launched, and the first time in a decade that all traffic fatalities have declined in two consecutive years.

Pedestrian deaths this year fell 27 percent from 2013, to 134.

“We at DOT are extremely proud that 2015 was the safest year on record for pedestrians on New York City’s streets. However, we recognize that any fatalities mean we have more work to do,” DOT Commissioner Polly Trottenberg said.

“Vision Zero is working,” de Blasio said. “This progress is just the beginning, and Vision Zero is going to move ahead with even more intensity in the coming year.”

Councilman Jimmy Van Bramer spoke in praise of both the Queens Boulevard redesign and Vision Zero in general.

“This year, more children, more fathers, more mothers and brothers will join their families at home than last year because of Vision Zero initiatives like the redesigning of Queens Boulevard. The dynamic changes to streetscape and traffic calming have made our City a safer place to live, walk, cycle and drive than at any point in the last fifty years,” he said. “Our collective Vision Zero initiatives are saving lives.”

The $115 million in new funds will include $29.6 million for “area-wide improvements in Long Island City,” according to the Mayor’s office.

Officials did not respond to questions regarding what these improvements will entail as of press time. However, the DOT previously announced that a complete reconstruction of all streets bounded by 5th Street, 44th Drive, Jackson Avenue and Borden Avenue is in the works for improved pedestrian, vehicle and bike safety, as well as sewer system work.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Recent News

Gunman who fired shots at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City remains at large: NYPD

Police from the 114th Precinct in Astoria and PSA 9 are continuing their search for a gunman who allegedly opened fire at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City last month.

The incident occurred during the early morning hours of Wednesday, Jan. 18, when officers responded to a 911 call and a ShotSpotter activation for multiple shots fired at 21-25 35 Ave. at the Ravenswood Houses NYCHA complex just after 2 a.m., according to authorities.

Popular places where you can watch the Super Bowl in Queens

Feb. 2, 2023 By Tammy Scileppi

Hey, football fans! Game time is fast approaching, and across the city and here in Queens, you can feel the excitement brewing as the two teams prepare to take the field on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 12. So, kick back and watch the big game, and don’t miss Rihanna’s exciting performance during halftime. 

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

Long Island City teen sentenced in fatal shooting of ‘beloved’ school teacher at Queensbridge Houses in 2020: DA

A Long Island City man on Friday, Jan. 28, was sentenced to 19 years in prison for the 2020 fatal shooting of a public school social studies teacher who was out walking his dog when he was caught in the crossfire during a confrontation between gang rivals in broad daylight, just blocks from his home, according to Queens District Attorney’s office.

Ike Ford, 19, of 12th Street, in Long Island City, pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the first degree before Queens Supreme Court Justice Kenneth Holder. The teacher, George Rosa, 53, was shot in his abdomen by a stray bullet fired by Ford, who was just 17 years old at the time of the shooting but was sentenced as an adult given the severity of the crime, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.