You are reading

Online fundraiser launched to support popular LIC barber

Sal the Barber, Ledo (Photo via GoFundMe)

May 23, 2024 By Queens Post News Team

An online fundraiser has been launched to support a popular Long Island City barber who recently spent a month in intensive care while battling kidney and heart failure. 

“Sal the Barber,” a popular figure at Ledo – The Art of Barber located at 5-46 50th Ave., recently spent 40 days in the hospital and almost a month in ICU after presenting with kidney and heart failure. 

In an update on GoFundMe, Sal’s wife, Anastasia, said her husband was pronounced “dead on arrival” and spent three weeks in a coma while on life support in the ICU. 

Anastasia said her husband overcame the long stint in the ICU but subsequently underwent dialysis as he continued to battle kidney failure. 

She said he has made a miraculous recovery and does not need outpatient dialysis but said her husband struggles to walk and currently uses a wheelchair or a walker. 

Anastasia also revealed that Sal is using a cardiac life vest that will temporarily shock his heart in the event that he goes into cardiac arrest, adding that her husband has lost around 80 pounds since being admitted to the hospital. 

Due to the life support tubes, he has a collapsed vocal cord that does not allow him to eat solid food,” Anastasia said in a post on GoFundMe. 

Family friend AJ Ingoglia launched an online fundraiser to help support Sal, Anastasia, and their son during this “incredibly tough time,” setting a target of $50,000. At the time of writing, donations total over $20,000, with more than 200 people donating to the campaign. 

“Sal is more than just a barber; he’s a cherished friend and a pillar of our community,” Ingoglia wrote on GoFundMe. “Now, it’s our turn to support him, his wife, and his son during this incredibly tough time. We’re rallying together to provide the financial support they need to help Sal recover and get back on his feet.”

“We all miss hearing Sal’s infectious laughter at Ledo’s, and with your help, we can bring that joy back to our neighborhood. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a significant difference. Let’s come together and show Sal and his family that they are not alone.”

In a subsequent post, Ingoglia said Sal is recovering at home but said the “future will still be a challenge” for the popular barber and his family. 

 

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

MTA opens three new modernized elevators at the Queens Plaza subway station in Long Island City

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) announced the opening of three new modernized elevators at the Queens Plaza E/M/R subway station in Long Island City earlier this month as part of a larger accessibility and safety upgrades throughout the transit system.

The work included a full replacement of the cab and equipment within the cab, shaft and pit, along with two new elevator head houses located at street level. Crews also made modifications to the shaft and pit as needed to allow for new equipment. The elevator machine room and electrical and mechanical equipment received replacements and other modernization efforts for reliability.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.