You are reading

No bail for Brooklyn man arraigned for ‘horrific’ rape, assault of woman in Woodside: DA

Brooklyn ex-con Tony Kempsey was held without bail for allegedly beating a woman unconscious in Woodside, and then raping her late last month, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz. (Photo courtesy of NYPD)

May 15, 2023 By Bill Parry

A Brooklyn man was criminally charged with rape and assault in an attack on a woman in Woodside late last month, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.

Tony Kempsey, 58, of Butler Street in Boerum Hill, was arraigned May 12 before Queens Criminal Court Judge Jeffrey Gershuny on charges of rape in the first degree, two counts of assault in the second degree and sexual abuse in the first degree for allegedly raping a 49-year-old woman on a Woodside street after giving her a ride on his motorcycle and then beating her.

Brooklyn ex-con Tony Kempsey. (Photo courtesy of NYPD)

According to the charges, based on recovered video surveillance and an NYPD investigation, on Sunday, April 30, at approximately 5 a.m., Kempsey was riding a motorcycle in Elmhurst when he encountered the victim who was walking on the sidewalk and offered her a ride.

Photo courtesy of NYPD

He then drove the victim for a few minutes before parking the motorcycle and walking with her for a short distance near the intersection of 48th Avenue and 72nd Street where Kempsey suddenly punched the victim in the face repeatedly — causing her to fall to the ground and strike her head on the pavement, losing consciousness. After she fell to the ground, Kempsey allegedly raped her. The victim regained consciousness just as Kempsey rode off in an unknown direction.

The victim was able to summon help and was transported to NYC Health + Hospitals/Elmhurst, where she was treated for head trauma and other injuries and was listed in serious but stable condition.

Kempsey was taken into custody on May 11 in Brooklyn after police were tipped off to his location.

“This kind of horrific attack is a nightmare,” Katz said. “The defendant evaded arrest for weeks and now will be held accountable.”

Kempsey is an ex-con who served 20 years in prison for a subway slashing in 1992, according to NYPD Chief of Detectives James Essig. He was released in 2013 and placed on lifetime parole. His rap sheet includes 10 prior arrests, the most recent being for a 2017 subway stabbing, Essig said.

Judge Gershuny remanded Kempsey. If convicted he faces up to 25 years in prison.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

MTA opens three new modernized elevators at the Queens Plaza subway station in Long Island City

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) announced the opening of three new modernized elevators at the Queens Plaza E/M/R subway station in Long Island City earlier this month as part of a larger accessibility and safety upgrades throughout the transit system.

The work included a full replacement of the cab and equipment within the cab, shaft and pit, along with two new elevator head houses located at street level. Crews also made modifications to the shaft and pit as needed to allow for new equipment. The elevator machine room and electrical and mechanical equipment received replacements and other modernization efforts for reliability.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.